According to Masterclass.com, romance novels are about a developing romance between a hero and a heroine. Here are some common characteristics of romance novels:
- There must be a conflict challenging the relationship that needs to be overcome.
- The stories are aspirational, and so issues outside of the central courtship are limited.
- Romance novels are generally told through the perspective of a woman and feature strong-willed and clever female characters.
- All romance novels follow the moral principle that good behavior is rewarded with unconditional love.
- Most important of all, the stories have a happy ending.